Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Montessori Beginings

I have been reading a few books on Montessori teaching. Montessori From the Start and Montessori at Home! I am trying to figure out where to start. I went to Walmart and got a small shelf. Now where to put it. I'm thinking for now in the hall way between their rooms. I don't know if I like the shelves. Are they to short meaning the space between?

I think I just need to start. When I went to Walmart I also got some nuts,bolts,and washers for C (4 yr) activity. F (4yr) has expressed interest in the flower arrangement activity. I need to cut some flowers and bring them in for her. Do you use cut or real for yours. Today we had a talk about the activity cycle while we where putting together the shelf.

For those who don't know it's having the kids get out their floor mat or rug to create a work space. Have them carefully bring the activity to the work space and work. They then clean up and put the activity back where it is stored. To complete the activity circle they put the rug or mat back.

I plan to have the younger girls do the same they will need more help but I think they will get it. I think I am going to start them out with a sensory bin. I am just nervous about the mess. I think the older ones will want their chance at it too.

I am just starting to realize how much I worry about the small stuff. This will turn out alright the kids will like it, it will not perfect, they will get it and we will all enjoy it. Let's get started.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have a good plan and are ready to get started! I know it will go well and get better and better the longer you do it! Just have fun with it and try not to sweat the small stuff too much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!