Friday, September 30, 2011

Laundry Habit

I have been working on this habit since August.  I am determined to get a handle on it.  Laundry!!!!  I takes over in a matter of days.  I have been trying to do a load a day.  But then there are days I totally forget.  I don't like to do it on the weekends, as they are so busy and I want us to be able to hang out Daddy-O. Now in the past one load a day has just meant washed and dried.  I have been known to let clean clothes sit in a laundry basket.  It is no fun to have to be digging for something to wear and it doesn't help the children learn.  So here is what I have come up with.  I do a small load everyday.  By doing this it will only take minutes to fold and put away and the kids aren't to overwhelmed.  Since I don't want to do it on the weekends.  We do two load on Monday or Friday.

  • Before coffee or while its brewing throw the load.  Side note: I really like to have this ready the night before as that has been an excuse to not it, it the room and everyone is sleeping in there.  I am not going to wake them up,  it can wait.  Oops now I didn't get it done and the whole day is thrown off.  
  • Change the load as the kids breakfast is starting, also starting a timer is helpful. I have also had the kids help hang it out while we are waiting for breakfast to heat. ( remember this is a small load so it only takes a few minutes.
  • After breakfast, kitchen clean up, and the kids have cleaned themselves up we grab the load and fold and put away.  I have picture labels on their drawers so they know where things go and all shirts get hung up. Even the others help out as they are part of our "Family". 

It has been hard for me to let them fold towels as they come out looking sideways and a little messy.  After taking with Daddy-O we are just going to let them look like that.  The kids will get better as time goes on.  This way I don't have to make them feel bad by doing it over and it saves me time too. 

I love it when I can tell C to get dressed and he doesn't have to say I can't because I don't have  any undies or socks.  Or he can wear his favorite shirt 3 times in a week. 

Now to tackle matching socks any suggestions?  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!