Thursday, July 7, 2011

Montessori Beginnings- outside

I have been struggling with moving toward the Montessori way of learning because I thought of it as things that to be done mostly inside. We are a very outside family. From the moment they get up to the time I tell them it is time for bed we are outside.

In my teacher mind I am a paper, pencils, sit down way of thinking. (This is not at all how I learn though, or at least how I did when I was younger, I had to teach myself that in college.) In my mother mind lets get out, get dirty, and explore.

So I have sat back and thought about how to put this all together. I need a routine to follow the other one is not working and has not been in a while. We have been using this one:

7:00- 8:00 Drop off, breakfast, free play
8:00 after dad leaves circle time
8:30 outside
10:00 snack
10:15/30 explore: learn
12:00 lunch
nap
snack
outside
5:00 - 5:30 pickup

The only things we skip the explore learn time. Which in my mind would be inside the learning room ( that I still need to post new pictures of ) However we do this, they are outside building things, we take a daily walk, they swim much of the day. They play in the sand box, sand and water table, and dig in the mud. It is just not structured as I would like it to be. But with that I must plan..... So what I am looking for is outside ways of teaching and learning.

This will keep both age groups busy!! On rainy days we will be back inside. So I will need a plan for those. If you plan can you let me know. I would love to see what your plans look like.

Happy planning and playing outside!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!