Monday, September 19, 2011

Montessori Beginnings- Demonstrating

Demonstration of the activity is difficult to do at my house. C is so anxious to get started and thinks he already knows how to do it. It is also difficult because the younger girls are into it. But it is a very important part of the Montessori way of learning.

Demonstrating allows you to show them how special this activity is and acts as a guide for your child on how it should be done. I have to be careful and show that I respect these materials or they end up scattered around like their toys.

I am still working on slowing down and not talking a lot when I demonstrate the activity. I feel like they don't get it all if I don't talk through it.

Also when demonstrating I am sure to include a mistake, this shows them how to correct it. When demonstrating show them how to do it from the beginning to the end. Remember to demonstrate putting it back on the shelf.

I have struggled with how to demonstrate with more than one child. What I have come to is to do it during a circle type time. I present the new activity with everyone in front of me. It is covered up so no one can see it. I build up the excitement of a new activity and how cool and excited that they are able to explore and learn with it. Along with how we need to respect it. We talk again about how we respect our things. Talking with Mr. Bowman from Montessori At Home! has help me with my demonstration.

I am still working on putting together videos. So stay with me they are to come.

What do demonstrations look at when do them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!